Thursday, September 18, 2008

Granny's 93rd Birthday

My Granny turned 93 yesterday. It's just amazing to me to think of all the changes she's seen in her lifetime. Thinking of her house alone, there's still the old septic reciprocal in the back from when she didn't have indoor plumbing, there the old coal room off of her "new" furnace room (this furnace is the hugest furnace I've every seen, I think it must be the first and only furnace that she's ever had) from when she and Gramps used coal to heat the house- granted that Gramps made the basement where this is so I don't know what they did before that. There's Gramps' baby in the garage- his old Corvair. These are the presidents that have been in office since she was born: Woodrow Wilson, Warren G. Harding, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Bill Clinton, George W, Bush- that's amazing! And hopefully one more. Many of you know that she's not doing well. She has advanced stomach cancer and it is progressing very quickly. She rarely eats so she's dwindled away to skin and bones and has no strength. She's sleeping all the time now. It hurts to see her like this- Aaron and I have always been so close to her. For years our immediate family was Granny, Mom, Dad, Aaron & I. She's always been one of my favorite people, someone I've always looked up to and admired. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be where I am today. I love her very much. Please keep her in your prayers!


No comments: